Friday, January 25, 2013

Ultra Deep Field - Astronomy Can Hurt My Head

"Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another." - Plato

   While I'm not an avid astronomer, even at an amateur level, I always marvel at the vastness of space. As a boy scout, we went to a planetarium in the bay area in the 80's. I saw Saturn through a telescope at night and thought it was fake, it was so clearly visible. In the 90's I was backpacking on Mt. Whitney and saw a satellite passing overhead one night, camping at 11,000 feet. Then around 2010 I stumbled across the video below. It's about 4 minutes, but left my head buzzing. 
   As my children ask questions about the world around us, and the sky above, it's fun to tell them what I know, and fun to speculate about what I don't. We see a few more stars than the average city, as we're kind of on the edge of town. I LOVE my stars, and love to contemplate the vastness of space. It's a wonder that I think can capture us all if we let it. 
   Enjoy the video. I truly appreciated how unique we are on our small little inhabited planet. Give me a reaction. I'm dying to know your thoughts following the clip. 



J. 

No comments:

Post a Comment